Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reflecting on my game plan

Using the GAME plan to develop an entire unit proved to be challenging, but it helped me to stay focused throughout the process. I became more aware that if I am to teach an entire unit using digital technology particularly for collaborative research and the production of a digital project, I had to get many facets in place. I am truly hoping that I can develop a unit that can be applied during the spring semester. There were quite a bit of challenges specific to my school that did not allow for complete implementation of a web-based unit, nevertheless I believe that it can be done even when given the limited resources and support presently available. Cennanamo, Ross and Ertmer (2009) explained the importance of teachers not organize instructional strategies relying on technology as simply another source of information for students to draw upon, but more importantly, that teachers should: “organize instructional strategies that leverage digital technologies as developmental tools to be used by students as a resource stimulus for inquiry, perspective taking, and meaning making…” (p.289).
I believe that the most important new knowledge I have gained from following my game plan it to properly investigate the availability of resources for use in the digital classroom. I also became more aware of how students can actually engage in inquiry using digital technology and learn essential content at the same time. The new knowledge I have gained will certainly impact my instructional practice in many ways. Firstly, I must look ahead to plan for any possible roadblocks where the availability of technology is concerned. I see that if I am to influence any change at all in my school I must get the attention of those who have access to technology and are willing to take it a step further. My classes must have access to working computers with Internet access in order to fully experience digital inquiry and collaboration. As it stands we are struggling to get working plug outlets in some rooms.
Immediate adjustments I will make to my instructional practice regarding technology integration in Social Studies as a result of my learning from this course include using technology everyday for information and inquiry. I want to implement digital storyboards as an immediate goal and then a long term goal of problem-based projects. I have seen the benefits of using other technology resources to differentiate instruction and I realize that students enjoy learning by using podcasts, film, and PowerPoint presentations.
To sum up, I am now even more aware of the huge responsibility I bear to turnkey this new knowledge about digital teaching and learning. To be quite honest, it is quite scary. With so many veteran teachers not wanting to embrace 21st century teaching and many newer teachers who prefer not to it truly seems like an uphill battle. Much of the infrastructure of older school buildings, especially in big cities does not support full incorporation of Internet use. I will continue to find new ways to use digital technology for teaching, learning, and evaluating student work in my classroom.


Reference:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (1 ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing.

No comments: